Monday, August 3, 2015

Seattle Pizza Restaurant Forced To Shut Down Because Of Minimum Wage Increase

From Young Conservatives:

Conservatives have been shouting from the rooftops about how bad of an idea raising the minimum wage is, how it will negatively impact businesses, who will then be forced to reduce hours for workers, let staff go, or worse, completely shut down.

As you might have guessed, lefties ignored this sound economic advice in favor of bleeding heart emotionalism, saying anyone against raising the minimum wage hates the poor and is defending the wealthy, which couldn’t be further from the truth, but facts have never gotten in the way of liberal insanity before, so why would it start now? Well, Seattle decided to bump its minimum wage April 1, and it’s wreaking havoc on local businesses, like this family owned pizza restaurant that is now being forced to close its doors because of the hike.

From IJReview:

The owner, Ms.Burnham says she and her 12 employees will now be looking for new jobs:
I’ve let one person go since April 1, I’ve cut hours since April 1, I’ve taken them myself because I don’t pay myself.. I’ve also raised my prices a little bit, there’s no other way to do it.

Seattle’s minimum wage was just raised to $11/hour as part of a phase-in to the $15/hr wage over six years. But since Burnham owns one store of a large franchise, she’s considered a big business and must phase in the $15/hour wage in two years.

I know that I would have stayed here if I had 7 years, just like everyone else, if I had an even playing field. The discrimination I’m feeling right now against my small business makes me not want to stay and do anything in Seattle.

Employee Devin Jeran says he was excited about making more money, but didn’t recognize there might be a downside

Common sense tells us if we place heavier economic burdens on business owners, if we take away their profits, they’ll have less in their budget to work with. They won’t be able to pay their employees and be forced to reduce staff — which then means we as consumers don’t get the same level of quality in our products and services — or they might have to completely shut down.

We need to change the term minimum wage to entry level wage. Then people who think just because they show up for work they should get a raise will understand what the wage is and not an automatic guarantee of a raise. Instead they should know more about the job, work harder and get promoted to more money. It’s called self responsibility and determination for each individual, something our liberal society lacks in most cases.

Read more:
Seattle Pizza Restaurant Forced To Shut Down Because Of Minimum Wage Increase

No comments: