Sunday, September 20, 2015

Questions Atheists can answer, Christians just ignore them

The Destruction Of Sodom And Gomorrah, a paint...
The Destruction Of Sodom And Gomorrah, a painting by John Martin (painter), died 1854, thus 100 years. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Several days ago TodayChristian posted this article entitled “10 Questions For Every Atheist” with the following message underneath “Some Questions Atheist Cannot Truly and Honestly REALLY Answer! Which leads to some interesting conclusions…”.

Naturally atheists found their Facebook page and started answering the so-called questions we cannot REALLY answer. Hilariously but not surprisingly the answers have fallen on deaf ears, even more (not) surprising the original article was found here (as it states on the TodayChristian page). The original article was penned by an atheist who – after compiling a list of the most common questions posed to them by theists – has provided full and comprehensive answers to the questions, The answers were ignored with TodayChristian reposting the questions dubbing them “Some Questions Atheist Cannot Truly and Honestly REALLY Answer!”.

It’s not that we can’t answer them, it’s just that the theists are outright fucking ignoring the answers we give. It’s not we cannot answer them honestly, it’s that theists want us to admit that we don’t have all the answers – then they can point at atheists and say “See you aren’t right! We have all the answers!” completely forgetting that 1) It is okay to not have all the answers and 2) Theism doesn’t have all the answers – they just make shit up.

So I thought I would chime in with my 2 cents worth and answer the questions and record the time it takes for them to be ignored.

1. How Did You Become an Atheist?
I read and researched the various religions and faiths and came to the conclusion there was no evidence apart from anecdotes to attempt to prove the assertions made by those various religions and faiths. I lack a belief in any god because I don’t need one, I don’t need one to direct my life and I don’t see any evidence for any god existing.
2. What happens when we die?
I don’t have the answer and neither does religion. I would assume it would be the same as before you were born. I wasn’t aware of anything before I was born. My body will break down and my consciousness would cease to be.
3. What if you’re wrong? And there is a Heaven? And there is a HELL!
What if Christians are wrong? This is an argument called Pascal’s Wager. The basics of Pascal’s Wager is “better to believe and be safe rather to not believe and potentially be wrong”, it’s a way for people to hedge their bets. If they believe and they are wrong, they haven’t lost anything but if they don’t believe and are wrong – they’re in trouble. I don’t subscribe to Pascal’s Wager because that would mean believing in every faith ever worshiped just in case I am wrong about one or all of them.
4. Without God, where do you get your morality from?
From life experience and treating others how I would like to be treated. Self-policing is pretty easy for a lot of people. The thought some people need a book in order to be a decent person is foreign to me, it implies that person has an inability to be good unless they are told exactly how. It tells me they can’t determine right from wrong and lack empathy and compassion. If you do decent things because god says so, you aren’t doing decent things – you are following instruction.
5. If there is no God, can we do what we want? Are we free to murder and rape? While good deeds are unrewarded?
I’ve read the Bible, god demanded murder and killed a lot of people. There are a lot of stories involving murder and rape in that book. The story of Sodom and Gomorrah for example had Lot give his daughters to the townsfolk to be sexually abused. When you say “Without god, how do you not rape?” tells me the only reason you aren’t a rapist is because you don’t want incur your gods wraith.
6. If there is no god, how does your life have any meaning?
I create meaning. I create purpose. I have a family and a good job. I love my partner. I don’t need a supernatural being to have purpose.
7. Where did the universe come from?
Science has discovered a lot of evidence for the Big Band however we don’t have a complete picture as of yet and that’s okay. Discovering the answers to life’s questions is a great adventure.
8. What about miracles? What all the people who claim to have a connection with Jesus? What about those who claim to have seen saints or angels?
The plural of anecdotes is not evidence. These aren’t evidence, these things are the experiences of other people. I once knew a man who swore black and blue that he saw unicorns whereever he went – this doesn’t mean unicorns exist.
9. What’s your view of Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris?
Hitchens I would have loved to have tea with, he took no bullshit and I like that in a person. Dawkins has some good ideas and so does Harris but they are all just men. Men with ideas and different fields of study.
10. If there is no God, then why does every society have a religion?
Because throughout history humans had created ways to understand the universe and how the world functions. Just because the concept of faith and religion has been around a long time, doesn’t give the idea credibility. This is an argument from popularity and is a logical fallacy. This question implies that for god to exist, every tribe and society that has existed would worship the same god or every different god every tribe and society has worshiped would exists simultaneously. Just because the idea has been around for a long time doesn’t give legitimacy for the Christian god existing.

Questions completed.

Those questions weren’t so hard.

Because the questions weren’t very hard, I’ve searched around the Internet and found some more questions Christians feel we can’t answer. I honestly cannot tell if these are genuine questions or someone taking the piss but I’ll answer them anyway.

 Read more here:
» Questions Atheists can answer, Christians just ignore them

No comments: