Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Sometimes Words Fail Me

Soft drinks on shelves in a Woolworths superma...
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I stopped by a local grocery store this morning to pick up a couple of things I needed for dinner preparation later.

Waiting in the checkout line, I had plenty of time to observe the lady ahead of me. She appeared to be around 35 years old and was obviously pregnant (I would guess around 7 months or so along). She had two younger children with her, I'm guessing they were ages 2 and 3.

She was not wearing a wedding ring but she did have a prominent piercing in her lower lip and several visible tatoos.

Her cart was loaded with snack crackers, snack cakes, frozen pizzas, two liter soft drinks, chips and other junk foods. She was also purchasing bologna in substantial quantities. There was no fresh fruit, vegetables (canned or frozen), or dairy products.

The total came to a little more than $100 and the lady proceeded to pay with her EBT card.

Now I don't know her situation, or if she has a husband or significant other in her life, but I immediately felt sorry on a number of levels.

I felt sorry for her, knowing that she is raising two (soon to be three) children in difficult circumstances. I felt sorry for the kids, knowing that they are in a tough spot through no fault of their own.

I also felt angry. Angry that tax dollars are being used to support the poor decision to have another child when she already can't afford her existing children. Angry that she did not make better nutritional choices when spending money earned by others and given to her (after all, chicken and rice can go a long way - farther than Little Debbie snack cakes). Angry that she can afford piercings and tats.

I guess it could be worse - she did not have wine or beer in her cart.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: